US President honours Indian-American elementary teacher Revathi Balakrishnan
US President Barack Obama has honoured an Indian-American elementary teacher Revathi Balakrishnan from Texas at the White House.
She was honoured for her excellent work in the field of education as part of the ‘National Teacher of the Year Programme.
About Revathi Balakrishnan
- Currently, Ms. Balakrishnan teaches math classes in third through fifth grade at Patsy Sommer Elementary School, Texas.
- Originally she is from Chennai, Tamil Nadu and had earned her economics degree from University of Madras.
- Prior to becoming teacher she was a systems analyst with Liberty Mutual for about 12 years.
- Balakrishnan has taught at ‘Sommer Elementary’ for six years before teaching at Forest North Elementary for three years.
- Earlier, she was also named as 2016 ‘Texas Elementary Teacher of the Year’.
National Teacher of the Year Programme identifies exceptional teachers across the US by recognising their effective work in the classroom. It engages them in a year of professional learning and empowers them to participate in education policy discussions at the state and national levels.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2016