Pioneer of Israeli cinema Lia van Leer passes away
Lia van Leer, pioneer of Israeli cinema passed away on 13 March 2015 in Jerusalem, Israel. She was 90.
She was the founder of Israel Film Archive, Jerusalem Cinematheque, Haifa Cinematheque and the Jerusalem Film Festival.
About Lia van Leer
- She was born on August 8, 1924 in Romania. Later she moved to Israel and studied at Hebrew University.
- Along with her husband Lia van Leer had founded Israel’s first cinema club in the 1950s.
- In 1973, she had created the Jerusalem Cinematheque and in 1983 she started the Jerusalem Film Festival.
- In 1995, she was the head of the jury at the 45th Berlin International Film Festival.
- Lia van Leer was also considered as an advocate of peace after she had invited Iranian film-makers to Jerusalem and supported Palestinian cinema.
- Awards- In 2004, Van Leer was awarded the Israel Prize for her special contribution & lifetime achievement to society and the State of Israel. She also has been awarded with President’s Medal (also called Medal of Distinction of Israel) in 2014.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|