Peace Process in Tripura
The National Liberation Front of Tripura is a Tripuri nationalist militant organization. It is currently operating in Tripura and has a field strength of 550 to 850 members.
The NLFT is currently designated as a terrorist organization in India and most of its leadership is Christain.
What has happened?
- After over 4 years after the initiation of dialogue with the insurgents, the Central Government of India was able to sign a Memorandum of Settlement (MoS) with the last remaining armed faction of the National Liberation Front of Twipra (NLFT).
- As per the agreement, 88 members of NLFT will surrender.
- Under the terms of the agreement reached in the MoS, the surrendering insurgents will receive benefits of the surrender-cum-rehabilitation scheme announced by the Government.
What was the NLFT?
- The insurgent group NLFT was formed in 1989 to demand a separate tribal homeland in Tripura.
- It had waged an armed insurgency war for 20 years and for over two decades causing mass mayhem in the state.
- However, the Indian Government was interested in seeking a peaceful resolution to the conflict and since 2015, had been trying for the same.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs