Parliament passes Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2015
Parliament has passed the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2015. It was first passed in Lok Sabha on 3 March 2015 and later in the Rajya Sabha on 11 March 2015.
The Bill seeks to amend the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and replace the ordinance promulgated in this regard. The ordinance was promulgated in January 2015 after the bill was not able to pass in the winter session of Parliament.
Key provisions of Amendment Bill
- It brings e-carts and e-rickshaws under ambit of the parent Act, so they can ply on roads across the country.
- The Bill defines E-carts and e-rickshaws as special purpose battery powered vehicles with power up to 4000 watts and having 3 wheels. Bill mentions that these vehicles can be used for carrying goods or passengers.
- It also mentions that these vehicles should be manufactured, equipped and maintained in accordance with specifications as prescribed by Union government.
- The Bill exempts drivers of e-rickshaw and e-cart from the requirement of learner’s licence to drive.
- The Bill gives powers to Union government to make Rules on the specifications for e-carts and e-rickshaws, and the conditions and manner for issuing driving licenses.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|