Palestinian Hanan Al Hroub wins 2016 Global Teacher Prize
Palestinian teacher Hanan Al Hroub from a refugee camp has been awarded prestigious one million dollar 2016 Global Teacher Prize.
She was presented with the award at a ceremony held in Dubai for her outstanding contribution to the profession.
She beat nine other finalists to bag the award including India’s Robin Chaurasiya, who runs a not-for-profit school in Mumbai for girls from the city’s red light district of Kamatipura.
About Hanan Al Hroub
- She runs the Samiha Khalil High School in Al-Bireh, Palestine.
- She uses a specialist approach in her school to overcome tense environments of the region under the shadow of the Israel-Palestine conflict.
- Hroub’s approach has led to a decline in violent behaviour in schools where it was a frequent occurrence. It has been detailed in her book ‘We Play and Learn’
- She also has inspired her colleagues to review the way they teach and their classroom management strategies.
About Global Teacher Prize
- The Global Teacher Prize was set up by Sunny Varkey, Kerala-born entrepreneur and educational philanthropist in 2014.
- Every year it recognizes one exceptional teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession. It also considers teachers important role played in the society.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|