NHAI proposes Gorakhpur-Siliguri expressway
National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) proposed for the alignment of another expressway, that will run from Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh to Siliguri in West Bengal via Bihar.
- NHAI will prepare the detailed project report, after the greenfield alignment is approved by Bihar government.
- NHAI had submitted the portion of alignment of Gorakhpur-Siliguri expressway, to the road construction department (RCD) in order to discuss and approve in November itself.
- Out of total length, 450km stretch of expressway of four/six-lane configuration will pass through Bihar.
- This highway is part of Bharatmala project.
- Estimated cost on this project will be around Rs 6000 crore.
Significance of the project
This project will benefit the people of Bihar. It will ease the vehicular traffic from east to west part in Bihar.
Which districts will be covered in Bihar?
The proposed expressway will enter Bihar from Gopalganj and exist from Kishanganj. It will crisscross Siwan, Chapra, Muzaffarpur, Sitamarhi, Madhubani, Supaul, Saharsa and Purnia, in that order.
Bharatmala Pariyojana is a centrally-sponsored & funded Road & Highways project. The project will build roads and highways from Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab and Haryana. It will then cover entire Himalayan territories covering Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand. It will also move towards Uttar Pradesh and Bihar alongside Terai, and construct highways in West Bengal, Sikkim, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, covering up to Indo-Myanmar border across Manipur and Mizoram. The project will interconnect 550 District Headquarters
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|