New members appointed to Assam’s Foreigners? Tribunals
To assess the nationality of the people who have been disqualified in the NRC procedure, the Government has established foreigner’s tribunals in the state of Assam.
What are the Foreigners’ Tribunals?
- The Foreigner Tribunals have been set up to provide a legal concourse for the people who have been disqualified in the NRC process.
- A total of 100 Foreign Tribunals have been set-up in Assam and each tribunal is headed by a judge-like member.
- The members are appointed under the FT Act, 1941, and FT Order, 1984. The guidelines issued by the government vary from time to time.
- In the latest move, the Gauhati High Court has appointed a total of? 221 members to be part of the existing and upcoming Foreigners? Tribunals in Assam.
- A further 50 aspirants have been put on a waitlist.
- While the FTs were initially known as Illegal Migrant Determination Tribunals (IMDT), they were converted to FTs when the Supreme Court scrapped the Illegal Migrants (Determination by Tribunals) Act, 1983.
- Currently, the government has plans to establish over 200 FTs which would mainly handle cases of people which would be excluded from the final NRC.
- The tribunals will also deal with the instances of D-voters and comment on their sanctity.
What are D-voters?
The ?D-voters? holds for doubtful or dubious voter. This belongs to a category of people who have been disenfranchised by the government in part due to their lack of proper citizenship documents.
Rural Infrastructure Development Fund
The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) recently announced that it provided...
Assam Elephants Death-Report indicates Lighting
Around eighteen Asian elephants died in Nagaon district of Assam recently. It is a proposed reserve ...
Putola Nach- Puppetry Art-form of Assam
A trust based in Assam recently made videos using the traditional art called “Putola Nach”. The ...
Bohag Bihu Bird Count 2021 begins
On April 14, 2021, the Bohag Bihu Bird count began in Assam. The Bohag Bihu Bird count was launched ...
Assam’s Red rice export to U.S.
The first consignment of ‘red rice’ was flagged off on March 4, 2021 to the United States. This ...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|