NCRB releases “Crimes in India” report
On September 29, 2020, the National Crime Record Bureau released a report titled “Crime in India”, 2019. According to the report, crimes against women increased by 7.3% between 2018 and 2019.
Key Findings of Women
- Uttar Pradesh reported highest number of cases in both the categories, crimes against women and crimes against scheduled castes
- Assam reported the highest rate of crimes against women
- Rajasthan had the highest rate of crimes against scheduled castes
- The crimes registered against women were as follows
- 9% of the cases were registered under “Cruelty by husband or his relatives”.
- 8% were registered by “assault on women with intent to outrage her modesty”
- 9% were kidnapping and abduction cases
- 9% were rape crimes.
- The crime rate against women according to the report increased in 2019 as compared to 2018. In 2018, the crime rate was 58.8 and it increased to 62.4 in 2019. Crime rate is the number of crimes registered per lakh women population.
State Wise Data
- Uttar Pradesh accounted to highest number of crimes against women. Around 14.7% of crimes against women were registered in the state. Uttar Pradesh was followed by Rajasthan and Maharashtra.
- Also, UP had the highest number of crimes against girl children under POCSO act followed by Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh.
- UP also had the highest number of dowry cases followed by Bihar.
- UP had the highest number of acid attacks followed by West Bengal.
- UP had the highest crimes against Scheduled Castes followed by Rajasthan and Bihar.
- The highest number of rapes against Dalit women was recorded in Rajasthan followed by Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
National Crime Record Bureau
It was set up in 1986 to function as a repository of information in crimes. It was set up based on the recommendations made by the National Police commission in 1977 and the Task Force in 1985.
It operates under the motto, “Empowering Indian Police with Information Technology”.
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs