National Technology Day observed on May 11
National Technology Day was observed on May 11 across India. The day marks the anniversary of Pokhran Nuclear Tests (Operation Shakti) of 1998 and also India’s progress in field of science and technology.
About National Technology Day
- The National Technology Day was coined by late Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee as 11 May act as as a reminder of India’s technological advancements.
- Background: On 11 May 1998, India successfully conducted Pokhran-II (code name-Operation Shakti) in which it tested its Shakti-I nuclear missile at Indian Army’s Pokhran Test Range in Rajasthan. This was the second nuclear test conducted by India after Pokhran I (code-named Operation Smiling Buddha) was conducted in May 1974.
- Objective: National Technology Day highlights and celebrates groundbreaking achievements and valuable contribution of our scientists and engineers in field of science and technology. It also encourages youngsters towards science and technology field and embracing it as a career option.
- Celebration: Every year the Technology Development Board of India (a statutory body) commemorates NTD by awarding individuals with National Award for their contribution to science and technology (S&T). Also, on the occasion of NTD engineering colleges across India conduct programmes to support scientific endeavours and promote interest amongst students.
Other Landmark Events that happened on May 11
- National Technology Day also marks the flight of Hansa-3, India’s first indigenous aircraft which was developed by National Aerospace Laboratories. It was flown in Bengaluru when nuclear tests were being organized in Pokhran, Rajasthan. It was a two-seater, light general aviation plane. It is utilized in flying institutes for pilot training, surveillance, sports, aerial photography, and environment Projects.
- On May 11, 1998 the Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) accomplished last test-fire of Trishul missile. It is a surface-to-air, short-range missile, quick-reaction. It was then introduced into defence service by Indian Air Force (IAF) and Indian Army.
- The Trishul missile Trishul was a unit of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP) of India which has resulted in formation of Prithvi, Akash and Agni missile systems.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
Topics: Atal Bihari Vajpayee • Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) • DRDO • IGMDP • Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP) • National Technology Day • Operation Shakti • Operation Smiling Buddha • Pokhran I • Pokhran Nuclear Tests • Pokhran-II • Trishul missile