Musicians, film-maker chosen for Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowships and Akademi Puraskar for year 2014
Sangeet Natak Akademi has announced the names of recipients of Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowships (Akademi Ratna) 2014 and Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards (Akademi Puraskar) 2014.
The names of the recipients were finalized in the meeting of General Council of the Sangeet Natak Akademi which is also known as the National Academy of Music, Dance and Drama.
Akademi Fellowships which carries cash prize of 3 lakh rupees were conferred on
- R. Janakiraman- Musicologist.
- S. Sathyu– film-maker.
- Vijay Kichlu– Classical singer
- Tulsidas Borkar– Musician
With this the total strength of Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellows has gone up to 40.
Recipients of Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards (Akademi Puraskar) for the year 2014 are
In the field of music
- For Hindustani vocal: Ashwini Bhide Deshpande Nath Narelkar and Ustad Iqbal Ahmed Khan.
- Hindustani instrumental music: Pandit Nayan Ghosh (tabla) and Ronu Majumdar (flute).
- Carnatic instrumental music: Neyveli Santhanagopalan (Carnatic vocal), T.A. Kaliyamurthy (Thavil), Sukanya Ramgopal (Ghatam) and Dwaram Durga Prasad Rao (violin).
In the field of dance
Nine persons have been selected in this category. They are
- Adayar Janardanan (Bharatanatyam), Amusana Devi (Manipuri), Uma Dogra (Kathak), Sudhakar Sahoo (Odissi), Vedantam Radhesyam (Kuchipudi).
- Jagru Mahto (Chhau), Anita Sharma (Sattriya), Varanasi Vishnu Namboothiri (Kathakali) and Navtej Singh Johar (contemporary dance).
In the field of drama/ theatre
Eight theatre persons have been chosen in this category. They are
- Asgar Wajahat, Surya Mohan Kulshreshtha, Chidambar Rao Jambe, Debshankar Haldar, Ramdas Kamath, Amod Bhatt, Manjunath Bhagwat Hostota and Amardas Manikpuri.
In the field of Traditional/tribal music/folk/theatre/dance and puppetry
In this category eight artistes have been selected. They are
- Puran Shah Koti, KKalamandalam Ram Mohan, . Kesavasamy, Abdul Rashid Hafiz, Reba Kanta Mohanta, Ramdayal Sharma, K. Shanathoiba Sharma and Thanga Darlong.
About Sangeet Natak Akademi
- Established: in 1953
- Function: Responsible for preservation and promotion of the performing arts of the country.
- It also recognizes the contribution of outstanding musicians, dancers and theatre artists by bestowing them its Fellowships and Awards.
- Its aim is to create benchmarks in the practice of the performing arts.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2015
Category: Art & Culture Current Affairs