MoU Signed for Rudraksh Trees Plantation in Ganga Basin
A tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), INTACH (The Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage) and HCL Foundation for plantation of 10,000 Rudraksh trees in catchment area of river Ganga Basin in Uttarakhand.
Key Highlights of MoU
- About: NMCG has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with INTACH and HCL Foundation to take up a project of ‘Plantation of 10000 Rudraksh Trees in Uttarakhand’. This is part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative under ‘Namami Gange’ Programme.
- Objective: To create a greener ecosystem in Ganga Basin. For this the project aims at planting Rudraksh trees in Uttarakhand in association with local community and other stakeholders within state. This will also help in generating income for people residing in those plantation areas.
- Significance: The project undertaken will provide sustainable and comprehensive solutions for a cleaner ecosystem along the stretch catchment area of river Ganga. It covers about 97 towns and 4,465 villages on Ganga stretch and being a public-private partnership (PPP) provides initiative a much-needed impetus.
About Rudraksh Tree
- Scientific Name: Elaeocarpus ganitrus
- The term is derived from words Rudra which is one of hindu Lord Shiva’s vedic names and Akṣa means ‘teardrops’. Thus, Rudraksh actually means Lord Shiva’s teardrops.
- It is a large evergreen tree, with a height of 60-80 feet and has broad-leaves. It is the seeds of the tree which are known as Rudraksh.
- Its seed is traditionally used for prayer beads in Hinduism and Buddhism and primarily used in India and Nepal.
- It is an autonomous non-governmental Indian non-profit charitable organization. It was founded in 1984 and is registered under the Societies’ Registration Act, 1860. It seeks to preserve Indian culture and heritage. UN has
- INTACH was awarded a special consultative status with United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) by UN in 2007.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Environment Current Affairs
Topics: ECOSOC • Ganga Basin • Green Ecosystem • HCL Foundation • INTACH • Memorandum of understanding • MOU • Namami Gange Programme • National Mission for Clean Ganga • NGO • NMCG • public-private partnership • River Ganga • Rudraksh Tree • UN • United Nations Economic and Social Council • Uttarakhand