Manchester City retains Premier League football title
The Manchester City won the English Premier League football title for second successive year. Liverpool gained the second place in league.
- The Manchester City club maintained its dominance by finishing the campaign with 14 straight wins and 98 points. It clinched the title by beating hosts Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club (or Brighton FC) with 4-1 on seasons final day.
- Liverpool FC after beating Wolverhampton Wanderers FC with 2-0, stood as the runners-up of title despite with enormous 97 points.
- This was City’s 4th Premier League title in last eight years. With this the club became first team to win back-to-back titles in England’s top Premier League for a decade. Last time it was Manchester United who won consecutively in seasons of year 2007-08 and year 2008-09.
- Manchester City will play in the FA Cup final (is the last match in Football Association Challenge Cup) against Watford on 19 May 2019.
About English Premier League (EPL)
- It is also called ‘The Premier League’ and was founded on 20 February 1992.
- It stands at the top level of the Football Pyramid (also known as English football league (EFL) system which is basically a series of interconnected leagues for men’s association football clubs in England).
- EPL is contested by 20 clubs and the Seasons run from starting in August to ending in May. Each team plays 38 matches overall (as one team will play with all 19 other teams both home and away).
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Sports Current Affairs
Topics: Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club • English Premier League • EPL • FA Cup final • Football Association Challenge Cup • Football Pyramid • Football Title • Liverpool FC • Manchester City club • Wolverhampton Wanderers FC