M23 vows to capture all of DR Congo
Thousands of Congolese soldiers and policemen defected to the M23 rebels who have vowed to take control of all Congo, including the capital Kinshasa.
What is M23?
M23 = March 23 Movement
- Gets its name from the March 23, 2009 peace accord.
- M23 is a rebel military group based in eastern areas of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
- M23 is at present involved in an armed conflict with the DRC government.
- A large number of people have been displaced due to this conflict.
- November 20, 2012: M23 took control of Goma, a provincial capital.
‘March 23’, 2009: A peace accord inked b/w CNDP (National Congress for the Defense of the People) and DRC government. As per the accord, CNDP became a political party and the M23 soldiers were integrated into the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC).
- Head of the army wing of M23: General Makenga Sultani
- Chairman of M23: Bishop Jean-Marie Runiga Lugerero
After the military successes, M23 rebels have made additional demands, mentioning issues of human rights, democracy, as well as good governance, and have charged president Kabila of cheating in the November 2011 elections. The rebels have also threatened to march on Kinshasa (The capital of the Democratic Republic of the Congo) and oust the president.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|