Ladakh Ignited Minds Project
The Indian Army recently initiated the Ladakh Ignited Mines Project to provide educational opportunities for the Ladakhi students.
About the project
- The project aims to provide better future for the Ladakhi youths.
- The Indian Army has signed a Memorandum of Understanding to implement the project. The MoU has been signed with HPCL (Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited) and a Kanpur based NGO called the National Integrity and Educational Development Organisation.
- The MoU was signed in Leh.
- The project will train forty-five students from Kargil and Leh districts. It will train twenty girls.
- The project will train the students for JEE and NEET entrance examinations.
Recent Developments in Ladakh
- UPSC recently added Leh as its exam centre.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) is to set up its first Geothermal Power project in Ladakh.
About the Geo Thermal Project
- In the first phase, ONGC will drill up to 500 metres to tap hot sulphur and steam that spews out of the geysers.
- In the second phase, drilling will be done deeper to explore the potential of the reservoir.
- In the third phase, a commercial plant will be set up. The estimated power capacity of the plant is 250 MW.
Importance of Ladakh
- Ladakh produces abundant natural resources with annual solar radiation greater than the other areas of India with high insolation.
- It is popularly known as Lama Land or Little Tibet. It has numerous tourism opportunities at an altitude of 9,000 feet and 25,170 feet. Also, it has several monasteries.
- The presence of abundant resources in Ladakh is what makes India, Pakistan and China fight over Ladakh.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|