Ladakh: 1st UT to achieve 100% first dose coverage
Ladakh has become first Union Territory to vaccinate all residents and guest population; comprising of migrant labourers, hotel workers and Nepalese citizens earning their livelihood in the territory; with first dose of Covid-19 jab.
- In spite of Ladakh’s low population, this is no mean feat because of region’s challenging terrain, extreme weather and isolated centres of population. Many of the population are in fact difficult to access.
- As per data, total of 89,404 people from all eligible age groups have been administered with first dose of Covid vaccine.
- Second dose has been administered to 60,936 people.
- Vaccination was done in less than three months after third phase of vaccination started in India.
- About 6,821 Nepalese citizens living in UT were administered the vaccine.
Ladakh is a region administered by India as union territory. It comprises of part of larger Kashmir region, which has been a subject of dispute between India, Pakistan, and China. Ladakh was established as a Union Territory on October 31, 2019 after passing “Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act”.
Ladakh is bordered by Tibet Autonomous Region in east, Himachal Pradesh in south, Jammu & Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan in west while southwest corner of Xinjiang along the Karakoram Pass in north.
Extent of Ladakh
Ladakh extends from Siachen Glacier in Karakoram range in north to main Great Himalayas in south. Eastern end of UT comprises of uninhabited Aksai Chin plains. Aksai Chin is claimed by Indian Government as part of Ladakh, however it is under Chinese control since 1962.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2021
Category: States Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|