KVIC’s initiatives to generate employment
The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) joined hands with the Goa Government to generate employment opportunities in Goa. They inaugurated a series of initiatives. The initiatives were all first of their kind. There were no spinning and weaving activities in Goa earlier.
- Electric potter wheels to 160 families were distributed
- New Model Spinning wheels to 50 trained women were also distributed
- A Lijjat Papad unit was established. This will generate employment to 700 people.
- The aim of the initiatives is to assist the locals and help create jobs.
In India, the crafts sector sustains over 20 million practitioners. Handicrafts bring in good fortune with minimal investment. Indian crafts have good value in the international markets.
The Khadi and Village Industries Commission is a statutory body that was established in 1956. The commission took over the works of the former All India Khadi and Village Industries Board. The main objectives of KVIC are as follows
- To provide social employment.
- To produce saleable articles.
- To create self-reliance amongst the poor.
Category: Art & Culture Current Affairs