ITBP DG S S Deswal given charge of NSG
ITBP Director General S S Deswal was given additional charge of counter-terror force National Security Guard (NSG). He will take over from incumbent NSG DG Sudeep Lakhtakia who is set to retire on 31st July 2018.S S Deswal is 1984-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of Telangana cadre.
About National Security Guard (NSG)
- It was established in 1984, to protect states against internal disturbances and terrorism. It is under administrative control of Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- It is Federal Contingency World Class Zero Error Force. It deals with anti-terrorist activities in all its forms.
- It is not categorised under Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) and has Special Forces mandate. Its core operational capability is provided by Special Action Group (SAG) which is drawn from Indian Army. The post NSG DG is occupied by an IPS officer.
- Functions: It is trained to conduct counter terrorist operations including bomb disposal, counter hijacking tasks on land/sea/air as well as Post Blast Investigation (PBI) and Hostage Rescue missions. It is intended for use only in exceptional situations and do not take over functions of other Para Military Forces or State Police Forces. Its police component Special Rangers Group (SRG) is mandated to handle VIP security and is composed of personnel on deputation from other CAPF.
- Why Black Cats? NSG personnel also called Black Cats due to their black dress and black cat insignia worn by them on their uniform.
- Achievement: 26/11, Operation Black Tornado , Operation Ashwamedh, akshardham attack.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2019
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News