Integration of DigiLocker with Driving Licenses & Vehicle Registration Certificates launched
The Union Government has launched a new service -integration of DigiLocker with Driving Licenses (DL) & Vehicle Registration Certificates (RC).
It was jointly launched by Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari and Union Minister of Electronics & Information Technology and Law & Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad in New Delhi.
- With this integration people will no longer need to carry around physical copies of their Driving Licences and RCs.
- Using DigiLocker mobile app, they can instead access digital copies of the same on their mobile phones.
- Besides, DLs and VRC documents will be now issued directly to the DigiLockers of individuals in digital formats.
- These digital copies also can be shared with other government departments as identity and address proof.
- They can also be used for on the spot verification through the citizen’s mobile, by various law enforcement authorities like the Traffic Police.
- Besides, it will also result in assured authenticity of such documents and reduction of administrative overhead.
- DigiLocker is a key initiative under Digital India programme and serves as a platform for issuance of documents and certificates in a digital way.
- The integration of VRCs and DLs with DigiLocker will bring a major shift in the vision of paperless governance.
- It will also bring efficiency to the entire process of issuance of driving licenses and vehicle registration certificates through IT enablement.