Indian Navy conducts first sea trials for Mormugao
On December 19, 2021, Indian Navy conducted the first sea trials for Indian Navy’s indigenously built stealth destroyer called Mormugao, in the Arabian Sea.
- The maiden sea voyage of the warship has been built under the project P-15B.
- Its development coincides with the 60th anniversary of liberation of Goa from Portuguese rule.
- Mormugao is the second indigenous stealth destroyer, that is being built under Project P-15B.
- It is likely to be commissioned in mid-2022.
Who is building Mormugao?
Stealth destroyer Mormugao is being built at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDSL).
First Ship under project P-15B
INS Visakhapatnam was the first ship built under project P-15B. The ship was commissioned into Indian Navy on November 21, 2021 in Mumbai.
India’s Destroyer Construction Programme
Indigenous Destroyer construction programme of India was commenced in late 1990s with three Delhi class (P-15 class) warships. It was followed by three Kolkata class (P-15A) destroyers.
Under this project, a total of four warships have been planned namely, Visakhapatnam, Mormugao, Imphal and Surat. These Guided missile destroyers are under construction at M/s Mazagaon Dock Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai. Contract for these ships was signed in 2011. These ships are counted among most technologically advanced Guided Missile Destroyers worldwide. It comprises of features like state-of-the-art weapon or sensor package, high degree of automation and advanced stealth features.
Features of P-15B Ships
P-15B Ships are equipped with long0range Surface-to-Air Missiles (SAM) and BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles. It is also equipped with various indigenous weapons systems like medium range SAMs, anti-submarine indigenous rocket launchers, indigenous torpedo tube launchers and 76-mm super rapid gun mount.
Four ships of the project
- Visakhapatnam: It was delivered to the Indian Navy, in November 2021.
- Mormugao: It was launched in 2016 and its harbour trial was conducted recently.
- Imphal: It was launched in 2019. Currently, it is at an advanced stage of outfitting.
- Surat: It is under block erection. The ship is scheduled to be launched in 2022.
Category: Defence Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|