Indian girl honoured in UAE for Green efforts
An 8 year old Indian origin student named Nia Tony was honoured during 22nd edition of Emirates Recycling Awards in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE). She won the award in the paper section in individual category for collecting a total of 14,914 kg of paper waste.
- Ms. Tony was honoured with Eco Champions of Recycling award for her efforts in keeping the environment clean by collecting paper waste.
- She collected nearly 15,000 kg of paper waste in Gulf’s United Arab Emirate (UAE) as part of a nationwide recycling campaign.
- She campaigned around her residency area to collect paper, so that it can be recycled. Every week, she used to go out for collecting newspapers, magazines, and other paper that people threw away or didn’t wanted to keep.
About Emirates Recycling Awards
- The campaign was organized by the Emirates Environmental Group (EEG), a non-governmental professional working group based in UAE.
- The Emirates Recycling Awards were conducted to celebrate World Environment Day (observed on 5 June). The event was held under the Patronage and in esteemed presence of H.E. Engr. Sheikh Salem Bin Sultan Bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Chairman of Department of Civil Aviation and Honorary member of EEG.
- Categories: This eco-friendly drive in UAE was based on three categories- (1) corporations, (2) academic institutions and (3) individuals/families.
- The materials that were collected during campaign included paper, plastic, glass, cans, mobiles, among other items.
- Significance: Through this nationwide recycling campaign, EEG was able to reduce projected carbon emissions by about 73,393 metric tonnes.
Report: 99 of 100 cities with environmental risk are in Asia
A private firm Verisk Maplecroft has found that the Asian cities face the greatest risk from environ...
Vineyard Wind Project
Vineyard Wind Project is the first major Offshore wind farm that is to power 400,000 homes. The proj...
Climate Action Tracker: Global warming by 2100 to be at 2.4°C
The Climate Action Tracker recently released a report calculating the impacts of the recent US Clima...
GNAFC’s Global report on food crises
The Global Network Against Food Crises (GNAFC) recently released the “2021 Global Report on Food C...
RBI joins Network for Greening the Financial System- NGFS
The Reserve Bank of India recently joined the Network for Greening the Financial System (NGFS). By j...
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2019
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News
Topics: Climate change • Dubai • Eco Champions of Recycling • Emirates Environmental Group • Emirates Recycling Awards • Green Award • Green Environment • NGO • Nia Tony • Recycling Campaign • Sheikh Salem Bin Sultan Bin Saqr Al Qasimi • United Arab Emirates
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|