India to host second assembly of International Solar Alliance
The second assembly of International Solar Alliance (ISA) is to be hosted by India. The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy is hosting the event. It is to be held in New Delhi between October 30 and 31, 2019.The ISA brings together 81 nations. It offers concrete solutions to reduce the cost of solar installations in developing countries.
- Coordination and Consultation meetings on different aspects of the ISA programmes are conducted
- The Assembly will be co-chaired by French Deputy Minister Brune Porison along with Union Minister of State for New and Renewable energy Raj Kumar Singh
- Over 400 delegates are expected to attend the event from member states and observer states.
- The ISA assembly is the highest decision making body. It gives directions on financial and administrative issues
- So far, 81 countries of 121 members have signed the Framework Agreement of the ISA. OF these, 58 have ratified the agreement.
ISA First Assembly
- The first Assembly of ISA was attended by 78 countries. They recognized that ISA has major role in achieving SDG (Sustainable Development Goal).
- Since its inception, 1000 MW of solar power and 300,000 solar water pumps have been aggregated from the member countries.
- ISA sent country missions to 8 countries-Togo, Uganda, Niger, Mali, Malawi, Guinea, Congo and Benin to understand the challenges and issues in the path of ISA programmes
- India has been providing full support to the alliance since its inception. GoI has allotted 5 acres of land to ISA. It has released a sum of Rs 160 crore for building infrastructure.
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs