India to acquire Sprut Light Tanks from Russia
India is currently in advanced talks with Russia to acquire light weight tanks. These are newly developed tanks in Russia. They are being acquired to be used in high altitude areas of Line of Actual Control.
The need to buy Sprut Light Tanks has come after border hostilities with China increased in the Line of Actual Control. The new tank is under trial in Russia.
India is to acquire two dozen Sprut light weight tanks in the first tranche. The cost of one tank is less Rs 500 crores. This falls within the emergency financial powers provided to the chiefs after Galwan clash.
About Sprut Light Tank
It is a self-propelled tank destroyer and a light tank. These tanks shall be air dropped from an aircraft with three operating men sitting inside. It weighs 18 tonnes and can reach a speed of 71 kilometres per hour.
The recent Indian Procurements of India from Russia are as follows
- In January 2020, India and Russia signed 14 Memorandum of Understandings during Defexpo, 2020 in Lucknow.
- In July 2020, The Defence Acquisition Council approved the proposal of deals worth Rs 38,900. Under this, around 21 MiG-29 fighter jets were to be procured from Russia at Rs 7,418 crores. The rest such as Su-30 MKI was to be procured from HAL at Rs 10,730 crores.
- The Brahmos missile was developed under a joint venture between India and Russia
- The T-90 tanks that are currently deployed in Indian Army were bought from Russia in 2001. Currently India is developing its own tank “Arjun”
- A 5.43 billion USD deal was signed between India and Russia to acquire S-400 missiles in October 2018. The missiles are to reach India in 2021.
- In 2019, Russia offered three refurbished Kilo Class submarines to India. India bought the submarine for 1.82 billion USD.
- During Defexpo 2020, India and Russia signed deals to procure R-27 air-to-air missiles.
China population grew at 0.53%
The annual population of China has slowed during the decade. This has put the demographic dividend o...
Telecom Department permits 5G Technology and Spectrum Trials
The Department of Telecommunications recently allowed mobile operators to conduct 5G trials. The Chi...
India-Russia 2+2 Dialogue
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Russian President Vladimir Putin recently agreed to establi...
US Leaders Summit: Xi Jing Ping to attend the Summit
The Chinese President Xi Jing Ping is to attend the US Leaders Summit that is to be held on World Ea...
People’s bank of china report on India’s demographic advantage
The Central Bank of China, that is, the People’s bank of China recently released a report on Demog...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|