India produces 25,000 tonnes of plastic waste everyday
Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar in a written response at the lower house of the Parliament on 22nd November informed that the demand of plastic products has increased sharply in the country due to increased use of fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG), which have indirectly caused a challenge of plastic waste management. With the continuous development of the economy, consumer good demand will continue to increase, also as plastic packing being available at a cheaper cost, finding an alternative is a challenging task.
Highlights from the written reply of the Union Minister:
A study conducted by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) across 60 major cities of India, found that 4,059 tonnes per day of plastic waste are generated from these cities.
On the basis of plastic waste generation data of 60 major countries, it is being estimated that around 25940 tonnes of plastic waste are generated per day in the entire country. Out of which approximately 15384 tonnes which are 60% of total plastic waste is collected and recycled. The Remaining 40% of plastic waste generated remains uncollected.
The government aims to completely end the use of single-use plastic from the country by 2022 as a part of the Clean India (Swachh Bharat) part two campaign.
Category: Environment Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|