India Post launches Five Star Villages Scheme
Published: September 11, 2020
Five Star Village Scheme has been launched by The Department of Posts. The scheme ensures the universal coverage (100 % coverage) of flagship postal schemes in rural areas of India.
- Scheme will be first implemented in Maharashtra. 50 villages in each district will be covered during 2020-2021.
- The scheme is aimed at bridging the gaps in public awareness and reaching of postal products and services in remote villages.
- Under the scheme, all postal products and services will be made available, marketed and publicised at village level.
- Branch offices will be opened which will function as one-stop shop. It will cater to all post office related needs of the villagers.
- Five Star scheme will look after following sub schemes or initiatives in a comprehensive manner:
- Savings Bank accounts, Recurrent Deposit Accounts, NSC or KVP certificates.
- Sukanya Samridhi Accounts or PPF Accounts.
- Funded Post Office Savings Account linked India Post Payments Bank Accounts.
- Postal Life Insurance Policy or Rural Postal Life Insurance Policy.
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana Account or Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana Account.
- Performance based star ratings will be provided to villages. If a village attains universal coverage for four out of five sub schemes, village will get four-star status and so on.
Who will implement the scheme?
It will be implemented by a team of five Gramin Dak Sevaks. The team will be headed by Branch Post Master. The Divisional Head, Assistant Superintendents of Posts and Inspector of Posts will further monitor all the activities.