India exports GI certified ‘Jardalu’ Mangoes to UK
Bihar exported the first commercial consignment of GI certified Jardalu mangoes from Bhagalpur to the United Kingdom. Jardalu mangoes from Bhagalpur district were given GI certification in 2018.
Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority, (APEDA) in collaboration with Bihar government, Indian High Commission & Invest India, exported Jardalu mangoes. Mangoes were packed and treated at APEDA packhouse in Lucknow.
How APEDA has been contributing towards export?
- APEDA has initiated measures to boost mango exports from non-traditional regions. It has been conducting virtual buyer-seller meets and festival in a bid to promote mango exports.
- It organised mango festival in Berlin, Germany and in Japan in collaboration with Indian embassies.
- It also organised a week-long Indian mango promotion programme in Bahrain in which 16 varieties of Mango including three GI certified varieties (Khirsapati & Lakshmanbhog from West Bengal and Jardalu from Bihar) were displayed.
- In May 2021, APEDA in association with Indian embassy, Seoul and Indian Chamber of Commerce in Korea, organised a Virtual Buyer Seller Meet to provide a platform for exporters & importers of mangoes from India and South Korea.
- Thus, Mangoes are processed by APEDA packhouse facilities and exported to several countries viz, Middle-east, USA, European Union, Japan and South Korea.
Mango Production in India
Mango are referred to as king of fruits. They are also referred to as Kalpavriksha (wish granting tree) in ancient scriptures. Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka have a major share in total production of Mango.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2021
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|