India elected to UN Economic and Social Council
India was elected to the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) for 2022-2024 term.
- India has been selected in Asia-Pacific States category. Other elected countries include Oman, Afghanistan and Kazakhstan.
- Elected African countries are- Cote d’Ivoire, Eswatini, Mauritius, Tunisia, and United Republic of Tanzania.
- Among eastern European states Croatia and Czech Republic were elected.
- Belize, Peru and Chile are among elected Latin American and Caribbean states.
- In by-election of Economic and Social Council, New Zealand & Denmark were elected for January to December 2022 term while Israel was elected for January 1, 2022 to December 31, 2023.
What is ECOSOC?
ECOSOC is a 54-member Economic and Social Council, established in 1954 by a United Nations charter. Being the heart of United Nations system, it helps in advancing economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development. It is the central platform to foster debate & innovating thinking. It shapes ways forward and coordinating efforts in a bid to achieve globally agreed goals. It organises follow-up, major UN conferences and summits. Promotion of high standards of living, full employment, economic & social progress, identifying solutions for global economic, social & health problems etc are important functions of ECOSOC.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2021
Category: International Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|