India to chair 9th International Renewable Energy Agency council meet
India is going to chair the ninth International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) council meeting to be held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
The 9th IRENA council is scheduled to start from 10 June 2015 and will be a two day event.
In this meeting 21 member nations of IRENA council are going to take part. They will guide the agency’s future programmes and activities.
About International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
- IRENA is an intergovernmental organization to promote adoption and sustainable use of renewable energy. It is the global hub for renewable energy cooperation and information exchange within its member nations.
- Founded: in 2009 and its statute entered into force on 8 July 2010.
- Headquarters: Abu Dhabi.
- Two governing structure: IRENA Assembly which takes decisions at macro level and gives policy guidance.
- IRENA Council is main governing body and is responsible for implementing various decisions of assembly.
- Members: In total it has 140 Members. India is one of the 33 Permanent and founder members of IRENA.