Income Tax Department launches faceless e- Assessment scheme
The Income Tax department launched the faceless e-Assessment scheme which aims to facilitate faceless assessment of income tax returns through completely electronic communication.
In this context:
- Under this scheme, taxpayers will receive notices on their registered e-mails as well as on registered accounts on the web portal with real-time alert by way of SMS.
- The Income-tax department has picked up 58,000 cases for the faceless e-Assessment scheme.
- The replies to the notices can be sent directly to the National e-Assessment Centre by uploading the same on the designated web portal.
Significance of this move:
- This scheme involves no human interface between the taxpayer and the department.
- This will increase ease of compliance for taxpayers as the cost and anxiety of taxpayers are likely to be greatly reduced.
- It will bring transparency and efficiency by improves the quality of assessment and monitoring.
- Expeditiously disposal of cases will be done.
National e-Assessment Centre (NeAC)
This institution has been set up for looking after the e-assessment scheme. It?s headquartered in Delhi and will be headed by Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax.
There are 8 Regional e-Assessment Centres (ReAC) set up at Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata Ahmedabad, Pune, Bengaluru and Hyderabad which would comprise Assessment unit, Review unit, Technical unit and Verification units.