IAMAI: India to have 243 million internet users by June 2014
As per the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI), the Internet user base in the country stood at 190 million at the end of June, 2013. For the whole year 2013, the internet user base grew 42% to 213 million, from 150 million in 2012. Of the total user base, mobile internet users accounted for 130 million in 2013, a growth of about 92% from 68 million in 2012.
IAMAI expects the number of mobile internet users to touch 185 million by June 2014, accounting for about 76% of the internet user base in the country. The growth of Internet users has also led to a substantial growth of other digital industries such as e-commerce and digital advertising. The study projects the online advertising market in India to touch Rs. 2,938 crore by March 2014.
Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI)
- Not-for-profit industry body registered under the Societies Act, 1986.
- Founded: 2004.
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- President: Dr. Subho Ray.
- Put forward the problems and requirements of the businesses to the consumers, shareholders, investors and the Government of India.
- Purpose: To improve and expand the value added services pertaining to mobiles and several online services.