The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) had launched the Honey Mission in August 2017 on the call of the Prime Minister for the Sweet revolution.
Characteristics of the Honey Mission
Honey Mission is being executed in two phases:
- Phase I included Awareness Training, Procurement & Supply of Bee Boxes along with Colonies and Establishment of Apiaries. Operational Guidelines along with item wise modules.
- Phase II includes Launching of Marketing Network across the Country. It may be launched on Central level.
Under the Honey Mission, Beekeepers are provided:
- Practical training about examination of honeybee colonies.
- Acquaintance with apicultural equipments.
- Identification and management of bee enemies and diseases.
- Honey extraction and wax purification.
- Management of bee colonies in spring, summer, monsoon, autumn and winter seasons.
In 2018 KVIC created a new world record of distributing maximum number of bee-boxes in a single day beating previous best of 841 in Israel around two years ago. Further KVIC has distributed more than one lakh bee-boxes among farmers and unemployed youths across the country in less than two years under its ‘Honey Mission’ initiative.