Higher Education in India : IIM Jammu
The Union Minister of Human Resource Development unveiled the logo and website of the newer Indian Institute of Management, Jammu. The establishment of IIM Jammu would help in the regional development of the Jammu region and the Minister has assured the director of all support for the overall development of the institute. The new logo of the Institute was designed by the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad.
IIMs in India
- The Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) are the premier management research institutes in the country.
- There are currently 20 IIMs in operation, spread all across the country.
- Currently, IIMs are located at Jammu, Amritsar, Rohtak, Sirmaur, Kashipur, Lucknow, Gaya, Ranchi, Raipur, Calcutta, Shillong, Sambalpur, Indore, Nagpur, Ahmedabad, Udaipur, Visakhapatnam, Bangalore, Kozhikode and Turichirappali.
- These institutes offer tailor-made programs catering to the postgraduate, doctoral and executive levels.
- After the passage of Indian Institutes of Management Act, 2017, the IIMs have been granted much more autonomy in making their decisions.
- The act modified the governing body from IIM council to IIM coordination forum and the IIMs were granted much more autonomy to decide their courses, fees, and other related matters.
- It also conferred on the institutes the right to grant degrees to their graduates. Earlier the IIMs granted diplomas.
National Institute of Design
The NID is an autonomous body under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India which is recognized by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research. It has its branches in Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, and Gandhinagar.?
Other NIDs are to established in Vijayawada, Jorhat, Kurukshetra and Bhopal.