Helipads on Mumbai Buildings
While the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation had given its official sanction for the construction of helipads which could be constructed on top of tall buildings in Mumbai over three years ago, till date no operational helipad has been constructed in any building due to several objections from central ministries, primarily the defense and environment ministry.
Why are helipads necessary?
- The Helipad is a landing platform for helicopters which do not require a large open space to take off and land.
- A Helicopter is a quick way to get around the city as it is not stuck by traffic and road which is a premium in most global cities.
- Major cities globally like New York, London and Paris all have incorporated Helipads in the city space as it speeds up the movement of corporate honchos and important dignitaries in the city regions.
- However, no helipad has become operational in Mumbai which is home to the financial capital of India and is home to several hundred corporate heads.
- By thumb rule, a city as rich as Mumbai and with its space constraints should have several helipads. But there are no helipads in Mumbai as they are not without concerns of their own.
What has happened in Mumbai?
- As per the Development Control norms which were notified in Mumbai in 2016, helipad construction was allowed on roofs of all buildings which were more than 200 meters in height.
- This allowed several buildings like hospitals and residences of industrialists to obtain permission to construct helipads.
- However, the Defence Ministry has objected to having private sector helicopters taking off so close to its establishments as they comprise high-security threats.
- Even the environmental ministry has objected to helicopters, as a landing and taking off helicopter would generate high amounts of noise and this would comprise living in the residential areas.?
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|
NASA helicopter makes third flight on Mars
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) rec...
Mumbai’s Undersea Tunnel- Key Facts to know
Mumbai will start the first undersea tunnel of India in 2023...
What are the Blue tides spotted at Mumbai beaches?
The blue tide phenomenon was observed in several stretches o...
Delhi, Chennai among cheapest cities to rent
According to a new report published by Purely Diamonds, Delh...
Sero Study Done in Mumbai: Slums Score over the Residential Societies
Serological surveillance study done in 6936 people in three ...
Plasma Donation Program to be launched in Dharavi, Mumbai
Maharashtra government will launch a plasma donation program...
Housing Sales Hit in the First Half of 2020, NCR Affected the Most
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic hitting the country hard in ...
Indian Air Force develops Airborne Locust Control System
The Indian Air Force has developed an airborne locust contro...