Govt plans to set up joint counter operation centre in Punjab
The Central government is planning to set-up a joint counter operation centre in Punjab involving National Investigation Agency (NIA), external spy agency R&AW, counter-terror unit of Intelligence Bureau and Punjab Police.
Why the Centre is mulling on the idea?
- The intelligence report with the Union Home Ministry hints at the Inter-Services Intelligence network’s nefarious design to revive the pro-Khalistan elements and whip up passions for the separatist movement.
- The government believes that if these unlawful activities are not curbed and controlled immediately and on priority, it is likely to escalate secessionist movements, supports militancy and incite violence in the country.
Joint Counter Operation Centre
- A joint counter operation centre in Punjab will involve the National Investigation Agency (NIA), external spy agency R&AW, counter-terror unit of Intelligence Bureau and Punjab Police.
- At present all these agencies work in silos and coordinate or share information on a case to case basis.
- To provide for a comprehensive and holistic approach the government has asked the Punjab DGP and the chiefs of all the agencies to prepare a blueprint for the joint counter operation centre in a timebound manner.
- The joint counter operation centre will also have backroom experts for better monitoring over foreign-based operators and will help in preparing Look Out Circular (LOC) against suspected pro-Khalistani elements flying in the country from abroad.
The reports with the government suggest that an outfit called Sikhs for Justice is running a campaign ‘Referendum 2020’ at the behest of ISI. The organization is also said to be in close touch with the militant outfits and activists and is supporting a violent form of extremism and militancy in Punjab and elsewhere to carve out a sovereign Khalistan of the territory of Union of India.
Topics: Government • India • Information sensitivity • Intelligence Bureau • Inter-Services Intelligence • Khalistan Liberation Force • Khalistan movement • National Investigation Agency • Pakistani intelligence agencies • Punjab insurgency • Punjab Police • Research and Analysis Wing