GI Tag for Odisha Rasogola
The Registrar of Geographical Indication has granted the Odisha rasagola a geographical indication tag. The registration was given to the ?Odisha Rasagola? as per the Section 16(I) and the authorized Section 17(3)(c) of Geographical Indication of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act 1999.
The Odisha rasogola has been granted a GI number of 612 which has been registered in the name of Odisha Small Industries Corporation Limited (OSIC Limited) and Utkal Mistanna Byabasayee Samiti in the foodstuffs category.
While OSIC is a government of Odisha undertaking, the Utkal Mistanna Byabasayee Samiti, a traders? organization.?
What is a Geographical Indication?
- The geographical indication (GI) provided to products which have a specific place of origin and possess unique qualities as a result of that place of origin.
- A geographical indication (GI) right enables a product to have the right to use the indication to prevent its unlicensed use by a third party whose product may not conform to the standards of the original product.
- This protects the sellers and manufacturers of GI products from unfair market undercutting.
- The Darjeeling Tea was the first Indian product to receive a geographical indication (GI) tag in 2004.
- Currently, several other Indian products have also applied for a GI tag and many have received it.
- These include the Aranmula Kannadi, Kanchipuram Sarees and Madhubani Paintings.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|