Forest Fires in The Amazon Rainforests
The rapidly changing climate has led to a rise in global temperatures worldwide.
The change in climate can be attributed with doubt to human activities like burning fossil fuels and deforestation.
However, there are a few bulwarks before runaway climate change.
One of the main bulwarks against climate change are the rainforests of Amazon. However, these forests too are facing an unprecedented survival crisis.
What has happened?
- The Amazons are the world’s largest rainforests are aptly known as the lungs of the world. They are a shield against the runaway climate change but are increasing being ravaged by human activities like deforestation and several thousand forest fires.
- In the current year, the instances of wildfires have increased by 83% when compared to the forest fires in the last year.
- The official Brazilian government data states that a total of 72,843 forest fires have been recorded this year which is the highest number since 2013.
- In what should be a significant concern, over 9,500 have been picked up within a week itself.
- News agencies have observed plumes of smoke which were blowing out of the forest and was a height of hundreds of feet.
What causes forest fires?
- Forest fires occur in the underbrush of the trees which dry over the hot summer season. This rise in the heat of the area causes the forest fires to develop into huge pillars of smoke which then envelope the still lush patches of trees, blackening them even before their undergrowth is overtaken by the forest fire.
- While most causes of forest fires have a natural origin, in a few cases, the environmentalists have also found out that the farmers set the forest land ablaze to clear the land for grazing cattle and for agricultural purposes.
Miss Universe 2020
Andrea Meza of Mexico was crowned the Miss Universe, 2020. The 69th edition of Miss Universe was hel...
Food price index highest since 2014
The United Nations recently announced that the world food prices increased for the eleventh consecut...
Brazil: Sputnik V vaccine supply had live cold virus
The Health Regulator of Brazil recently announced that the Sputnik V vaccines of Russia carried live...
Malayan Giant Squirrel: First Survey in India
Malayan giant squirrel or the black giant squirrel (Ratufa bicolor) is one of the largest tree squir...
Amazon at the risk of changing from Forest to Savanna
A team of Europe based scientists have recently found that the tropical forests especially the Amazo...
Category: Environment Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|