Fee waived off for SC/ST Candidates in Jan Shikshan Sansthans
After taking charge of his office, Union Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey held a first review meeting with senior officials of Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) in which the decision was taken to waive off fee for SC/ST candidates joining vocational training under Jan Shikshan Sansthans.
- As per the decision taken at MSDE’ review meeting, all those SC/ST candidates who join vocational training under Jan Shikshan Sansthans (JSS), which operates under the aegis of Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) their fees will be waived off.
- Background: In January 2019, comprehensive reforms were brought in for Directorate of Jan Shikshan Sansthan (DJSS), which was formerly under Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) and was transferred to Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship in 2018. This decision follows those recent comprehensive reforms.
- Objective: to further strengthen skill ecosystem so as to benefit those in underprivileged sections of society.
About Jan Shikshan Sansthans
- Background: The Jan Shikshan Santhan (JSS) scheme of was initially launched in 1967 as Shramik Vidyapeeth, a multi-faceted adult education institution that was aimed at improving vocational skills and quality of life of industrial workers and their family members and of migrants workers, coming to urban areas. In April 2000, Shramik Vidyapeeth scheme was renamed as Jan Shikshan Sansthan and its focus was also extended to the rural areas.
- Function: JSS imparts vocational skill training programmes and entrepreneurship benefits accessible to underprivileged and un-reached sections of society like SCs, STs, women and girls, neo-literates, semi-literates, slum dwellers, migrant workers.
- They do not provide just skill development, but also link literacy with vocational skills and technical knowledge and provide large doses of Life Enrichment Education (LEE) to the people enrolled.
- At present there are 247 JSSs working across the country.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2019
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
Topics: Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey • Jan Shikshan Sansthan • MHRD • Ministry of Human Resources Development • Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship • MSDE • SC/ST candidates • Shramik Vidyapeeth • Union Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship