Fact in Focus : Darfur, Sudan
The United States Security Council has approved a resolution that will halt the withdrawn of the combined United Nations-African Union peacekeeping force in the politically unstable Darfur region in Sudan.
Facts to remember about Sudan
- Sudan is an African Country located in the North-East of Africa.
- It is bordered by Egypt to the North and has an opening to the ocean at the Red Sea.
- After the Christian Majority regions of historical Sudan separated into a new country as South Sudan, the predominant religion in Sudan is Islam.
- The capital of Sudan is Khartoum while the capital of South Sudan is Juba.
- The conflict-ridden region of Darfur lies in the west of Sudan.
- South Sudan is a land-locked country. It ranks the highest in the rankings of American Fund for Peace s Fragile States Index (earlier known as the Failed States Index).
Why are peace-keeping forces deployed in Sudan?
- In April 2019, the military of Sudan forcibly deposed former President Omar al-Bashir after his 30-year rule.
- Since then, the military has been facing protest movements which demand civilian rule in Sudan.
- Amid this chaos, Amnesty International had reported that the Sudanese Military was involved in war crimes like murders & rapes in the Darfur region.
- However, this situation had then stabilized and members had called for the withdrawn of the force.
The Big Picture: Conflict Ridden Regions
Deployed after a resolution passed in the United Nations Security Council, the peacekeepers are also deployed in Kosovo (Serbia), Haiti, Western Sahara, Lebanon, Syria, Israel and Indo-Pakistan Border apart from Darfur (Sudan).
India’s Eight Point Action Plan to UNSC to combat terrorism
The External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar recently addressed the United Nations Security Council...
US names Cuba as State Sponsor of Terrorism
The United States recently designated Cuba as a state sponsor of terrorism. ContentsWhat is US list ...
India to chair 3 UNSC Committees
The Ambassador of India to the United Nations recently announced that India has been asked to chair ...
Iran’s Strategic Measures for the Removal of Sanctions: Highlights
The Iranian Parliament has recently passed a bill called the “Strategic Measures for the Remov...
India-Vietnam Defence Ministers hold discussions
The Defence Ministers of India and Vietnam recently discussed the collaboration in the defence indus...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|