Defence Ministry places 7500-Cr order for 118 tanks
Ministry of Defence has placed an order of worth Rs 7,523 crore in order to procure 118 Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) Arjun for the Indian Army.
- Defence ministry placed this order with Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF), Chennai to supply the 118 Arjun Mk-1A tanks.
- Arjun tank has been designed and developed by Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO).
- This tank has incorporated numerous upgrades on Arjun MBT, which is in-service main battle tank of the Indian Army.
About MBT Mk-1A Arjun Tank
- The MBT Mk-1A Arjun Tank is the new variant of the Arjun Tank. It has been designed to enhance all-terrain mobility, firepower, and survivability of the Indian Army.
- The tank has been infused with 71 new features. It has more indigenous content as compared to Mk-1 variant.
- Mk-1 Arjun tank can take on the enemy during day as well as night conditions, in static and dynamic modes.
- It has also been equipped with invincible multi-layered protection that are provided by an array of advanced technology systems.
Who developed the MBT Arjun Mk-1A?
The MBT Arjun Mk-1A has been designed and developed by Combat Vehicles Research & Development Establishment (CVRDE), along with other laboratories of DRDO. It was developed within two years that is 2010-12.
Significance of the order
According to defence ministry, production order to Chennai’s Heavy Vehicles Factory will bring in large avenue in defence manufacturing for more than 200 Indian vendors including MSMEs. It will also open up the employment opportunities for 8,000 people.
Category: Defence Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|