Current Affairs : November 21, 2011
Malaysia’s ENMAC launches Quran Mobile in India
- Malaysian firm ENMAC Engineering Ltd today launched a dual-sim mobile handset MQ 3500 , an innovative product catering to the Islamic community s needs of daily prayers and timely information on important dates and prayer timings, priced at Rs 3,950.
LPG by pipeline: Dewas first town in MP
- This District headquarters became the first town in Madhya Pradesh to boast homes where cooking gas is received by pipeline and not the cylinder that urbanite Indians are familiar. In the first phase, 800 users have been linked courtesy the GAIL.
Gandhian Ela Bhatt awarded Indira Gandhi Peace Prize, 2011
- Noted Gandhian and social worker Ela Bhatt awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for 2011. Ms Bhatt was selected by an International Jury chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. A labour lawyer by training and inspired by Mahatma Gandhi, Ms Bhatt founded the Self-Employed Women Association (SEWA) in 1972 and the SEWA Cooperative Bank, the first women bank in India. Ms Bhatt was given the prize for lifetime achievements in comprehensively empowering women in India and elsewhere through grassroots entrepreneurship, access to shelter, healthcare, micro-finance, micro-insurance, skills, legal services, collective bargaining power and many other means, thereby promoting equitable development and peace and following the Gandhian path of self-reliance and non-violence, the jury said, according to the sources.
Scientist CNR Rao awarded Ernesto Illy Trieste Science Prize
- Renowned scientist and Chairman, Scientific Advisory Council to Prime Minister, C N R Rao has been awarded the Ernesto Illy Trieste Science Prize for 2011. The Award, carrying a cash prize of Rs one lakh Dollar, a medal and citation, was presented to Prof Rao. The Award recognizes Prof Rao’s monumental contributions to the Chemistry of Materials for more than 50 years. The Scientist had recently received Firodia Lifetime Achievement award.
John Harnden appointed 2015 World Cup Chief Executive
- Chief Executive of the South Australian Cricket Association (SACA), John Harnden named the Chief Executive of the 2015 World Cup, which will be held in for the second time in Australia and New Zealand. Harnden.
India-Vietnam trade up 200% to $2.8 bln in last 4 yrs
- The bilateral trade between India and Vietnam has jumped more than 200 per cent in the last four years to stand around 2.8 billion dollar in 2010.
Inclusive Asia must for stability:Mathai
- Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai held that from India’s point of view, the new Silk Route was important for establishing connectivity through Central Asia and beyond. And it was in this context that Iran is important and it was time to dwell on the concept of inclusive Asia in order to build stability in the continent and the world at large. Mr. Mathai held that an attempt was being made to seek a consensus on economic cooperation from Turkey to South Asia and from Central Asia to the Gulf, passing through Central Asia, which had been looked upon as the heart of the continent. The new Silk Route is important for seeking common economic and security structures.
Banned CMAS observes ‘death anniversary’ of two Maoist leaders
- Hundreds of activists of banned Chasi Muliya Adivasi Sangh (CAMAS) paid tributes to their slained activists – Kedurka Singnana and Naichika Andru – at Valiaput village. The two Maoist activists were killed in 2009 by police during an attack on Narayanpatna Police station.
PNB bags most socially responsive bank award, 2011
- State run lender Punjab National Bank (PNB) bagged the Most Socially Responsive Bank Awards, 2011.
IFC assistance to provide self employed women with solar lanterns
- IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is helping India’s SEWA (Self Employed Women’s Associations) by providing energy-efficient cook stoves and solar lanterns to more than 200,000 of its members in the states of Rajasthan and Gujarat over the next three years.
Topics: Ela Bhatt • Gandhi Peace Prize • Gandhism • Gujarati people • Illy • India • Indian Hindus • Indian people • Indira Gandhi • Indira Gandhi Prize • Mahatma Gandhi • Self Employed Women's Association
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|