Current Affairs: November 12, 2011
Govt enacts Ancient Monument Act
- To stop the rampant encroachment and construction around the monuments and other sites of archaeological importance, the Government has enacted The Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains (Amendment and Validation) Act, 2010.
- National Monuments Authority (NMA) under the Act will be the highest body to oversee functions under the Act, particularly consideration of NOC applications for construction or reconstruction or repair and renovation in prohibited and regulated areas.
Dalmia Trust Water Environment awards presented in Chirawa
- The fifth state level Dalmia Water Environment Award conferred upon Centre for Community Economics and Development Consultants Society (CECOEDECON) Secretary Sharad Joshi for his Jaipur based NGO s outstanding work/intervention for water harvesting and environment conservation coupled with proper awareness for the cause.
Cultural Heritage Young Leadership Programme to be launched
- The Union Ministry of Culture decided to launch a Cultural Heritage Young Leadership Programme on November 19 with the aim to raise cultural awareness among school children. The focus will be on the less-privileged children residing in backward areas through regional languages as a medium of communication as far as possible.
Russia, US to continue consultations on missile shield: Medvedev
- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev his US counterpart Barack Obama have reached agreement to continue consultations on missile shield in Europe, although no consensus has been achieved so far. Russia and NATO agreed to cooperate on the so called European missile defence system and the Lisbon summit in November 2010. NATO insists there should be two independent systems that exchange information, while Russia favours a joint system with full-scale interoperability. Russia has agreed to cooperate on the new system, but warned it may strengthen its own defences if it is not made a full partner in the US-led shield. NATO needs the shield, which will be eventually deployed in the Mediterranean, Poland, Romania and Turkey, to counter the threat of missile attacks from rogue states such as Iran. Russia views the shield as a threat to its national security.
Afghanistan invites Indian investment in iron ore mining
- Invitation to invest in Afghanistan’s iron ore mines was extended by Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during their bilateral meeting in the Maldives on the sidelines of the 17th SAARC Summit. The iron ore mines of Afghanistan will soon be available for foreign investment.
Bolt, Pearson named IAAF athletes of the year
- Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt and Australia’s Sally Pearson, the world 100m hurdles champion, named IAAF athletes of the year here.
Peter Roebuck committed suicide
Former Somerset captain and well-known commentator and journalist Peter Roebuck has committed suicide.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|