Current Affairs : November 1, 2011
West Bengal moots Four-tier plan to upgrade health infrastructure
- The West Bengal Government has mooted a four-tier plan to upgrade the health infrastructure in the state while initiating formulation of a policy to invite private participation in the sector.
Magma wins Spotlight Gold Award (US) for Communication excellence
- Magma Fincorp, a leading asset finance company, has won the Spotlight Gold Award 2011 at the Global Communications Excellence Competition in the US.
Haryana refutes reports about Maruti shifting to Gujarat
- Haryana Government denied that Maruti Udyog Limited (MUL) was shifting from Haryana to Gujarat and strongly criticised the false statements of opposition parties made in this regard.
World Cup Kabaddi Opens at Bathinda
- Second Pearls World Cup Kabaddi started at Bathinda as 14 countries for men section and four countries in women section upped their ante to put their claim on Rs 4.11 crore prize money kitty.
India s largest Diabetes awareness campaign launched in Mumbai
- India s largest campaign on diabetes awarness, Women for Diabetes Care , an initiative under the aegis of Abbott Diabetes Blue Fortnight (ADBF) 2011, was launched in Mumbai. The campaign focuses on women s role in stemming the tide of the disease.
Chhattisgarh celebrates Rajyotsav 2011
- Chhattisgarh begins its 11th formation day celebrations — Rajyotsav-2011.
- Governor Shekhar Dutt started the five-day extravaganza later this evening at the Government Science College Ground.
- Twenty-one personalities and social organisations have been selected for awards to be conferred with during the valedictory function to be graced by Bharatiya Janata Party leader and former central minister Murli Manohar Joshi.
Odisha imposes fishing ban in Gahirmatha sanctuary for turtle mass nesting
- Orissa Government imposed a seven month long ban on fishing along the 20 km stretch of Dhamra-Barunei mouth within Gahirmatha marine sanctuary in a bid to protect the endangered Olive Ridley turtles who were spotted in the mid sea.
Coal India celebrates 37th Foundation Day
- Public sector Coal India Limited(CIL) celebrated its 37th Foundation day.
Savio Medeira is new Indian football coach
- Savio Medeira was officially appointed as the head coach of the Indian football team, till May next year, by the AIFF.
Haryana sets up Mandi Vikas Kosh
- Haryana State Agricultural Marketing Board has set up a Mandi Vikas Kosh for maintenance of the mandis in the state on the occasion of Haryana Day on November 1.
- Under the Mandi Vikas Kosh, an annual amount of Rs 10 lakh would be given to A Class Mandis, Rs five lakh and Rs three lakh to B and C Class Mandis respectively.
Re.1per kg rice scheme launched in Andhra Pradesh
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy launched the Re 1 per kg rice scheme in the state, on the day of Andhra Pradesh Formation.
- Rs.1 per kg rice scheme would benefit 2.01 crore white card holders in the state.
Butt, Asif guilty of betting scam
- Pakistan cricketers Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif have been found guilty of their part in a spot-fixing scam.
- Fast bowler Asif was found guilty of conspiring to cheat. They plotted to deliberately bowl no-balls during a Lord’s Test match against England.
Lt Gen S K Singh takes over as Vice Chief of Indian Army
- National Defence Academy (NDA) alumnus Lt Gen Sri Krishna Singh took over as the Vice Chief of the million-plus strong Indian Army.
- He succeeds Lt Gen Arvinder Singh Lamba.
UK Bansal assumes charge of DG BSF
- 1974 batch Uttar Pradesh cadre IPS officer U K Bansal took over as Director General of the Border Security Force (BSF).
- Before this appointment, Mr Bansal has served as Special DG(West) and ADG (East) in the BSF, Regional Inspector General of Police in three Zones of Uttar Pradesh, Inspector General of Police, ITBP and at various posts in state police including Additional Director General of Economic Offence Investigations.
Odisha launches Janani Sisu Surakshya Karyakram
- The Janani Sisu Surakshya Karyakram was launched in Orissa. The scheme would provide completely free and cashless services to pregnant women including normal deliveries and caesarean operations and treatment for sick new born (up to 30 days after birth) in designated government health institutions in rural areas.
Arunachal gets new Chief Minister
- After a brief political crisis, Nabam Tuki was sworn-in as the 7th Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh. Governor Gen (Retd) J J Singh administered the oath of office and secrecy to the new Chief Minister.
Manipur’s longest blockade called off
- The longest economic blockade in Manipur was called-off after 92 days after the state government gave a written assurance to upgrade Sadar Hills into a full fledged district.
Cabinet approves mandatory procurement from MSEs
- Government gives its nod to a procurement policy under which 20 percent of goods purchased by central ministries and public sector undertakings would be from micro and small enterprises (MSEs).
Manmohan Singh heads for Cannes Wednesday for G20 Summit
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh departed for Cannes in the French Riviera for the 6th G20 Summit where the focus of the leaders is expected to be on how to resolve the sovereign debt crisis in Europe.
China launches spacecraft Shenzhou-8
- China’s unmanned spacecraft Shenzhou-8 was blasted off from a launch centre in the northwestern Gobi desert .
Bopanna, Advani named ‘Global Shapers’
- Davis cupper Rohan Bopanna and ace cueist Pankaj Advani have been inducted into the ‘Global Shapers’, an exclusive community of exceptional youth in their 20s, established by the World Economic Forum (WEF).
Dhoni, Bindra now lieutenant colonels
- Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra officially became honorary lieutenant colonels in the Territorial Army with the army chief, Gen. V.K. Singh, pipping their ranks on their shoulders.
Rasquinha to make comeback in WSH
- Former India hockey captain Viren Rasquinha will make a comeback in the sport after three years with the World Series Hockey (WSH) beginning Dec 17, 2011.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|