Current Affairs : January 12, 2012
National Youth Day observed
- On 12 January, National Youth Day was observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
- Swami Vivekananda was born on 12 January 1863 and died on 4 July 1902.
- He was born Narendranath Dutta and was chief disciple of the 19th century saint Ramakrishna Paramhamsa and the founder of the Ramakrishna Math and the Ramakrishna Mission.
- He was one of the most prominent figures of India who introduced Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the “Western” World
- When this shy genius disciple of Swami Ramakrishna Paramhamsa, Swami Vivekananda rose to address the first “World Parliament of Religions” in Chicago on September 11, 1893, he created a sensation. His opening line “Sisters and Brothers of America…” was greeted by a three minute standing ovation from the audience of 7000. His first message after this opening was
“I thank you in name of the most ancient order of monks in the world; I thank you in the name of the mother of religions; and I thank you in the name of millions and millions of Hindu people of all classes and sects.”
So sensational was his ending-
“Sectarianism, bigotry, and its horrible descendant, fanaticism, have long possessed this beautiful earth. They have filled the earth with violence, drenched it often and often with human blood, destroyed civilization and sent whole nations to despair. Had it not been for these horrible demons, human society would be far more advanced than it is now. But their time is come; and I fervently hope that the bell that tolled this morning in honor of this convention may be the death-knell of all fanaticism, of all persecutions with the sword or with the pen, and of all uncharitable feelings between persons wending their way to the same goal.”
Setting up of NCTC Approved by the Cabinet
- India’s Cabinet Committee on Security approves the setting up of a National Counter Terrorism Centre.
- The objective of NCTC will be to counter terrorism effectively.
- NCTC will be a single window organisation that will gather and disseminate intelligence to central and state security organisations.
- NCTC will be a non-statutory body and government will soon issue a notification for the appointment of Directors and other members of core team of the NCTC.
- NCTC will work under Union Home Ministry
- It would also coordinate with relevant probe and intelligence agencies to ensure that the perpetrators of terror are brought to justice besides maintaining a comprehensive data base of terrorists, their associates and supporters.
National Policy on Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances, NDPS Approved
- The National Policy on Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances, NDPS has been approved by the Government of India.
- The policy attempts to curb the menace of drug abuse and contains provisions for treatment, rehabilitation and social re-integration of victims of drug abuse.
- Implementation of the provisions of the policy will lead to reduction of crime, improvement in public health.
- The policy will serve as an anchor guideline to various ministries.
- The policy reiterates the use of satellite imageries for detection of illicit crops such as poppy and cannabis and procedure for the subsequent eradication and development of alternate means of livelihood in respect of cultivators in pockets of traditional illicit cultivation.
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana coverage extended
- The Cabinet reviewed the implementation of the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana.
- The scheme has been extended to a few segments of unorganised workers.
- RSBY was launched in 2007 as the health insurance scheme for families living below the poverty line (BPL).
- The scheme is implemented by Ministry of Labour.
Poll Monitoring System, PMS approved by Election Commission
- The Election Commission of India approves the use of Poll Monitoring System, PMS, in all the 40 Assembly constituencies of Goa .
- In this system, Fingerprints of the voters would be recorded by finger print reading machines along with their photographs by the web cameras fitted to computers.
- Election Commission has sanctioned Rs. 1.84 crore for the purchase of hardware under the PMS.
Third Phase of Red Ribbon Express launched
- Government has launched the third phase of Red Ribbon Express in New Delhi.
- Red Ribbon Express is a train that is to create awareness among people about HIV/AIDS.
- Red Ribbon Express will cover 23 States and 162 halt stations during its year-long journey.
IIP grows 5.9% in November 2011
- Index of Industrial Production bounces back to register a growth of 5.9 percent in November 2011 compared to the corresponding month in the previous year.
- As per the data released by the government, the Manufacturing sector grew by 6.6 percent, Electricity registered a growth of 14.6 percent but the mining sector reported a negative growth of 4.4 percent during the corresponding period.
- The data say that although there has been negative growth in capital goods, the basic goods, intermediate goods and consumer durables and non durables have registered a positive growth.