Top News Headlines by GKToday – 29 June, 2019
- ‘A Prime Minister to Remember- Memories of a Military Chief’, book by former Navy chief Admiral Sushil Kumar, released.
- ‘Relentless,’ Autobiography by Former finance minister Yashwant Sinha to be released in July.
- The Jammu and Kashmir Reservation (Amendment) Bill, 2019 was passed in Lok Sabha.
- HRD Ministry finalised and released Five-year Vision Plan ‘Education Quality Upgradation and Inclusion Programme (EQUIP).
- Lok Sabha approves President’s Rule in J&K for another six months.
Rajya Sabha Election:
- Odisha: Amar Patnaik (BJD), Sasmit Patra (BJD) and Ashwini Baishnab (BJP) elected to Rajya Sabha (RS).
- Bihar: Union minister and Lok Janshakti Party chief Ram Vilas Paswan elected unopposed to the Rajya Sabha.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
- BSE Sensex: 39,394.64 (–191.77), NSE Nifty: 11,788.85 (–52.70)
- India’s foreign exchange (FOREX) reserves rise to a record high of USD 426.416 billion in week to June 21.
- Government cuts interest rate on small savings schemes, including NSC and PPF, by 0.1% for July-September quarter.
- Indian Railways conducting trials of TRI-NETRA (Terrain Imaging for Drivers Infrared, Enhanced, Optical & Radar Assisted) technology for detecting obstructions on tracks. NITI Aayog Member Ramesh Chand to chair government appointed working group tasked with revising current wholesale price index (WPI)
- ‘Go Tribal’ campaign, launched by Tribal Affairs Ministry and TRIFED in association with Amazon Global.
Reserve Bank of India
- India’s external debt increases 2.63% to $543 billion at March-end: RBI
- RBI relaxes leverage ratio (LR) for banks to help them boost their lending activities. The leverage ratio, as defined under Basel-III norms, is Tier-I capital as a percentage of the bank’s exposures.
- RBI permits Asset Reconstruction Companies (ARCs) to acquire financial assets from each other
- Payment System Operators (PSOs) need to store entire payments data in a system only in India: RBI
- RBI-appointed committee headed by former SEBI Chairman U.K. Sinha recommends ₹5,000 crore distressed asset fund for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs)
- G20 Summit: PM Modi holds trilateral meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin on sidelines of G20 Summit in Osaka
- Twitter to take down tweets by politicians who ‘break its rules’
- Jony Ive, designer of iPod, Macbook and iPhone quits Apple after 3 decades.
- Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena signs death warrants for 4 drug offence convicts, lifting a four-decade-long moratorium on capital punishment in Sri Lanka
- All nations in Asia-Pacific Group support India’s bid for a non-permanent seat at UN Security Council (UNSC) for a two-year term in 2021-2022.
- India’s chief national badminton coach Pullela Gopichand bestowed upon an honorary doctorate by IIT Kanpur.
- Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Narinder Batra elected as a member of International Olympic Committee (IOC) in Lausanne.
Category: Today's News Headlines