Curent Affairs : November 27, 2011
Putin officially nominated as Presidential candidate
- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin officially nominated as a candidate for Presidential elections at the pro-Kremlin United Russia party Congress at Moscow. The presidential elections are scheduled to be held on March 4, 2012. All 614 delegates from United Russia and Mr Putin’s All-Russia People’s Front movement voted to support his candidacy.
Sarangi player Ustad Sultan Khan passes away
- Sarangi maestro and classical singer, The Padma Bhushan awardee, Ustad Sultan Khan (71), the soulful voice behind hits like ‘Piya basanti’ and ‘Albela sajan aayo re’, passed away .He started performing at a the age of 11, and later collaborated at the international level with sitar maestro Ravi Shankar, on George Harrison’s 1974 ‘Dark Horse World Tour’. Mr. Khan’s was a family of sarangi masters from Rajasthan. He was initially tutored by his father, Ustad Gulab Khan. Later, he trained under Ustad Amir Khan, a classical vocalist of Indore gharana (school). Apart from Padma Bhushan, Mr. Khan won numerous musical awards including the Sangeet Natya Academy Award twice, the Gold Medalist Award of Maharashtra and the American Academy of Artists Award in 1998.
India lift SARRC Golf title
- India lifted the title of 10th SAARC Golf Championship at the Rambagh Golf course by defeating Bangladesh in play off, which was played on sudden death.
India, Nepal sign revised tax treaty
- More than a month after they sealed a bilateral investment pact, India and Nepal Sunday took another key step to boost their economic ties by signing a revised Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA).
Athletes from Kenya & Ethiopia emerge winners in Delhi Half Marathon
- Ethiopian athlete Lelisa Desisa and Kenyan Lucy Kabuu clicked 59.30 and 01:07:04 in the men and women s catagories respectively to win the 7th edition of the Airtel Delhi Half Marathon.
Rashtriya Mahila Kosh will be re-constitued
- Union Minister of State for Women and Child Development Ms Krishna Tirath held that the Rashtriya Mahila Kosh will be re-constituted and National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development (NIPCCD) will be established in every district.
Pass Right to Food Act, says Swaminathan
- M.S. Swaminathan, the mentor of India’s Green Revolution, called for an early passage of the Right to Food Act, articulating it would be the “brightest jewel in the nation’s crown”.
Pakistan to ask US to vacate air base
- Pakistan will ask the US to stop using one of its key air base after a NATO air raid on one of the country’s border check-posts left at least 25 soldiers dead
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|