Cabinet approves to set up a 12-member Technology Group
On February 19, 2020, the Union Cabinet approved to set a technology group. The 12-member group will provide scientific advice on mapping of technologies, commercialization of dual use technologies and develop a road map on selected key technologies.
The group will provide three major pillars of support namely Policy support, research and development proposals and procurement support.
Functions of the group
The group will help the GoI in achieving the following
- To render advice on technology procurement strategy
- To develop in-house expertise in developing merging technologies
- To make sure the public sector technologies developed are sustainable.
Why was the group constituted?
The Group has been constituted as the GoI faced the following challenges
- There was no mapping of technologies and their uses spread across the country
- The Researches were not aligned to technology development
- The dual use of technologies was not commercialized
- The standards of technologies were not fixed. This led to sub-optimal industrial development
- Silo-centric approaches to the development of technologies are being adopted
The Group will help in addressing these issues.
Category: Science & Technology Current Affairs