Budget 2019 : New Rs 20 coin
A new coin of Rs 20 denomination is to be launched in the Indian market.
The details of the new Rs 20 coin are as follows-
- The new Rs 20 coin will have a 12-edged polygon (dodecagon) shape.
- It will be made of copper, zinc and nickel.
- The dimensions of the new coin will be 27mm (millimeters) and it will weigh 8.54 grams.
- On the front side of the coin, the Lion Capitol symbol of Ashoka Pillar with the legend “Satyamev Jayate” will be inscribed.
- The words “Bharat” in Hindi and “INDIA” in English will be there on the right and left-hand side of the Lion Capitol respectively.
- On the back side of the coin will bear denominational value “20” along with the rupee symbol above the denominational value.
- The value will be flanked by design of grains. the grains will depict the agricultural dominance in the country.
- Unlike the previous Rs 10 coins, it will not have any design on its edges.
Coinage in India
As per the Coinage Act, 2011, the Government of India has the sole right to mint (prepare) coins. It is also responsible for the designing and minting of coins in various denominations. The coins are currently minted at the four India Government Mints at Mumbai located at Alipore (Kolkata), Saifabad (Hyderabad), Cherlapally (Hyderabad) and Noida (UP).
The coins are issued for circulation only through the Reserve Bank in terms of the RBI Act.