BIS celebrates World Standards Day
The members of IEC, ITU and ISO celebrated the World Standards Day on October 14. The day is celebrated to pay tribute to the experts all over the world who develop voluntary technical agreements that are published as International Standards
The Day celebrates the achievements of following organizations
- ASME – American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- ISO – International Organization for Standardization
- IEC – International Electro technical Commission.
- ITU – International Telecommunication Union
- IETF – International Engineering Task Force
- IEEE – International Electrical and Electronics Engineers
In India the World Standard Day was celebrated by BIS under the
Theme: Video Standards create a global stage
The theme is important as mobile phones, IT and other electronic devices boosted video production and is estimated that by 2020 80% of internet traffic will be consumed by video streaming data.
The day is marked as the World Standards Day since 1946. It was resolved when the delegates from 25 countries gathered in London to create an international organization that focus on facilitating standardization.
The idea is to set standardization at international level. This helps to travel efficiently.
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs