Balbir Singh Senior awarded with Major Dhyan Chand Lifetime Achievement Award
Veteran hockey player Balbir Singh Senior was awarded Major Dhyan Chand Lifetime Achievement Award by Hockey India.
The award carrying trophy along with a cheque of Rs 30 lakh was presented to Balbir Singh at the inaugural Hockey India Annual Awards ceremony held at New Delhi.
In his hockey career, Balbir Singh Senior had represented Indian team in three Olympics games including London Olympics (1948), Helsinki Olympics (1952) and Melbourne Olympics (1956). In all three Olympics the team had won the gold medal. He was captain of Indian team during Melbourne Olympics.
His record of most goals (five) in an Olympic final in 1952 still remains unbeaten and he also figures in the list of 16 iconic Olympians of all-time.
Apart from this award, inaugural Hockey India Annual Awards were also presented in various categories. They are
- Dhruv Batra Player of the Year Award – Birendra Lakra (male),Vandana Kataria (female).
- Baljit Singh Goalkeeper of the Year Award – PR Sreejesh.
- Pargat Singh Defender of the Year Award – Deepika.
- Ajit Pal Singh Midfielder of the Year Award- Manpreet Singh.
- Dhanraj Pillay Forward of the Year Award- Aka shdeep Singh.
- Asunta Lakra Upcoming Player of the Year Award- Harmanpreet Singh (male), Namita Toppo (female).