“Asteroid 2000 Em26”: Potentially hazardous space rock safely passed by Earth
The space rock, known as 2000 EM26, poses no threat and passed the Earth at just under nine times the distance to the moon. Though, it is defined as a potentially hazardous Near-Earth Asteroid (NEA) that was large enough to cause significant damage in the event of an impact.
- This was subtle reminder of the dangers of the asteroid impacts just one year after historic event took place on February, 2013.
- A previous-unknown discovered asteroid exploded over Chelyabinsk, Russia and injured 1200 people and sent shock waves shattering windows and damaging buildings in Chelyabinsk.
About Near Earth Asteroid (NEA) 2000 EM26
- Size: As big as three football fields (270m).
- Speed: Approx 12.37 km/s.
- Minor planet category: Aten asteroid (NEO, PHO).
- Minimum possible close approach distance to Earth: 0.018 AU (27 lakh km).
- Tracked by: Slooh robotic telescope service, Spain (that provided internet access to automated observatories).
Nasa’s Asteroid Redirect Mission (ARM)
- First-ever mission to identify, capture and redirect an asteroid.
- Plans to use capabilities of the new Orion spacecraft and Space Launch System rocket and high-power solar electric propulsion to capture an asteroid in the near future.
Till now, 10,713 known near-Earth objects are discovered.
Utopia Planitia of Mars
The Chinese Mission to Mars Tianwen 1 recently landed in the Utopia Planitia. It is the place where ...
Voyager 1 detects persistent hum
The Voyager 1 probe recently picked up humming sound. The scientists have named this as “Plasma Wa...
NASA-Axiom: First Private Astronaut Mission to Space Station
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) recently signed an agreement with Axiom Spa...
OSIRIS-REx: NASA Spacecraft starts journey to Earth
The NASA Spacecraft called the “Osiris-Rex” has started a two year long journey back to the eart...
India participates in the third Arctic Science Ministerial
The Ministry of Earth Science recently announced that India participated in the Arctic Science Minis...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|