Alka Sirohi appointed as UPSC chairman
President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed former IAS officer Alka Sirohi as chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) as per Article 316 of Constitution.
She will replace Deepak Gupta who demits office on 20th September 2016. She will be in office till completion of her term as member on January 3, 2017.
About Alka Sirohi
- She is a retired IAS officer of Madhya Pradesh cadre.
- Prior to this appointment she was member of the UPSC.
- Before joining the UPSC as a member in January 2012, she was Secretary, Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT).
About Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
- UPSC is constitutional body which conducts the prestigious civil services examination to select IAS, IFS and IPS officers among others.
- It has been established under Article 315 of the Constitution and consists of a Chairman and ten Members; appointed and removed by President.
- The chairman and members of the Commission hold office for a term if six years or until they attain the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- It conducts the prestigious civil services examination to select officers of Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and Indian Police Service (IPS) among others.